Wanted: Dutch RadFems and GC women/girls

Find other feminists in your country
Marieke

Wanted: Dutch RadFems and GC women/girls

Post by Marieke » 30 Aug 2018 19:16

It seems feminism is dead in the Netherlands. In the media it's the libfems who dominate discours. I had the "pleasure" of being atacked online by young "sex-positive" fun-feminists, incited by a well-known Dutch libfem. And at times like that it's hard knowing that there's so few RadFems or even "normal" feminists to back me up.

So I hope more women and girls find this forum, 'cause I'd love to meet in real life. Maybe one day we could have a meeting with a group of like-minded women. Please post a comment here if you're up for that.

Peach
Site Admin

Re: Wanted: Dutch RadFems and GC women/girls

Post by Peach » 31 Aug 2018 07:33

I'm in. :icon_e_smile:

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 31 Aug 2018 08:06

*waves* I don't live in the Netherlands but with enough notice would be up for a meet-up. I agree, the state of feminism is depressing. That said, I recently read an old Opzij (feminist magazine) with an interview with Hedy d'Ancona (old 2nd Waver) and some younger feminists. They all answered the same questions and I noticed how one of the younger ones kept adding a more radical note to the replies of the others. Even Hedy who is an icon in our country was quite moderate and male-centred, I found! I'll look up the name of the young feminist, maybe she's on Twitter.

I'm sure there are lots of women who share our ideas but feel afraid to speak out - because like you say liberal feminists can be vicious, not to mention men - or don't have the words to articulate their ideas properly, for lack of theoretical foundation or connections with other radical feminists perhaps. The latter applied to me personally until I connected with Twitter radfems and started reading about feminist theory. There were lots of things I intuited but couldn't really put my finger on, and discovering radical feminism helped me understand and articulate them. Hopefully we can find/create some community.

Peach
Site Admin

Post by Peach » 31 Aug 2018 08:30

Admin note:
I moved this thread to the new forum International.

Peach
Site Admin

Post by Peach » 31 Aug 2018 08:35

I gave up on the magazine Opzij. It's all liberal feminism.
We need a today's Anja Meulenbelt.
First thing we need is a way to connect to the radical feminists in the Netherland. Twitter or other platforms can help. Or writing an article and send it to the established media. Or even Opzij

Marieke

Post by Marieke » 31 Aug 2018 08:39

I started reading Opzij when I was 15, loved it when Cisca Dresselhuys was editor. I haven't read it since the last change in editors. I remember when the first issue with Irene Bel as editor came out, I didn't even recognize it as Opzij. Glancing over the cover, I thought it was the Libelle.

Opzij did teach me a lot though. I remember a reader's letter saying she choose to be a stay-at-home mum and that she was a feminist and therefor it was a feminist choice. That one letter really shaped how I came to understand feminism. It made me think about choice and how being able to choose doesn't make every choice you make feminist.

Marieke

Post by Marieke » 31 Aug 2018 08:40

Writing letters is a great idea. I recently pitched an idea for an article on gender to a Dutch feminist platform, haven't heard back though.

Peach
Site Admin

Post by Peach » 31 Aug 2018 08:55

I know a Dutch feminists who's an editor. She writes and is willing to check my writing before sending it in.
I'll ask her to join us.

Marieke

Post by Marieke » 31 Aug 2018 09:05

Great! Is she an editor for Opzij?

Peach
Site Admin

Post by Peach » 31 Aug 2018 09:10

No, she's more a translator. I don't know precisely. But she's good in writing and editing.

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 31 Aug 2018 10:03

I just remembered a Dutch feminist living in Scandinavia who DM'ed me to see if we could meet up sometime in Holland. I'll point her to this forum :)

The Opzij edition I'm talking about (after the last editor change) has Paul Verhoeven and Monique van de Ven on the cover with PV putting his hand on MvdV's breast. In some article, probably the same one I mentioned earlier, this was discussed as a "controversial question": is it okay to put a picture like that on the cover of a feminist magazine? Duh... it's so tiring to see good old sexual objectification, harassment, assault even dressed up as "empowering" when the woman in question agrees with it. We all go along with sexist BS and sometimes we even embrace it: this is how we handle living in this fucked-up world. It's not controversial: it's just old, very, very old...

Like you I think Opzij is no longer feminist. Just like we no longer have political parties that work for women, we no longer have a magazine by and for us. Good idea to start to write something ourselves. I could also translate some articles.

Marieke

Post by Marieke » 31 Aug 2018 11:02

I think I follow the Dutch/Scandinavian radfem on Twitter too. And I just invited another Dutch radfem from Twitter to come join us here.

CarolineViviane

Post by CarolineViviane » 01 Sep 2018 18:11

I am Dutch and my articles are published in English by object (women not sexobjects). No ground in the Netherlands. Would love to meet other radical thinkers.

Caroline

Marieke

Post by Marieke » 01 Sep 2018 19:03

Great, would love to meet you Caroline!

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 01 Sep 2018 19:07

Welcome, Caroline, nice to have you. Do we follow each other on Twitter?