Controversial thinkers

Share and discuss
witch

Controversial thinkers

Post by witch » 27 Sep 2018 04:50

Fellow sisters!

Who are the modern thinkers you'd gladly debate with? Which studies and claims make your blood boil?

I'm sure a lot of you have experience, that whenever feminism is mentioned, it's instantly THE MEN popping out of nowhere, calling you names, with the need to "destroy the feminist". I've noticed (in life in general) that everyone is an expert on giving personal life advice, but when its time to stand up for your beliefs, you are most likely to stand alone.

I am bound to listen to parties I disagree with. I love smart, educated people and a good debate. What worries me is the crooked view of feminism, without realizing how many overlaps it shares with many other perspectives.

Meanwhile, here is a peculiar study, about gender differences, suggesting biological influence:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... 10.00320.x

Open for discussion :)

JoyfulWoman

Re: Controversial thinkers

Post by JoyfulWoman » 26 Oct 2018 08:35

I wouldn’t have the ability to debate her, but in terms of ideas that definitely have had a negative impact on women and have contributed to the trans insanity where women and their sex category are erased, look no further than Judith Butler the mother of Queer Theory. She is a tenured professor at U.C. Berkeley in the San Francisco Bay Area. Her writing is incredibly dense and badly written but she has been massively influential as a philosopher and theorist. Apparently she believes that biological sex is a social construct. I am in the middle of reading feminist critiques of her work. It’s the middle of the night here, but I will try and find some links of women who disagree with her. You can try and read Butler yourself and good luck with that!

unaksi

Re: Controversial thinkers

Post by unaksi » 26 Oct 2018 10:45

witch wrote:
27 Sep 2018 04:50

Meanwhile, here is a peculiar study, about gender differences, suggesting biological influence:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... 10.00320.x

Open for discussion :)
The sentence that stopped me reading:

"Gender differences in personality tend to be larger in gender‐egalitarian societies than in gender‐inegalitarian societies, a finding that contradicts social role theory but is consistent with evolutionary, attributional, and social comparison theories"

So, he thinks there are gender-egalitarian societies. How can I take this person seriously about gender issues. Life is too short!

--DISCLAIMER-- I'm not an expert in social studies, sorry if I'm oversimplifying...