You *Have* To Read...

All about books, read and share
Root

Re: You *Have* To Read...

Post by Root » 17 Nov 2018 09:06

Any suggestions for autobiographies of interesting women? I feel like there were so many women in history that did great things but only few know about them because history is usually all about men.

hearthmoon

Post by hearthmoon » 24 Nov 2018 01:23

From Housewife to Heretic by Sonia Johnson, about her journey from Mormon housewife to radical feminist.
A Change of Heart by Claire Sylvia, about a woman who has a man's heart transplanted into her.

nomad

Post by nomad » 01 Jan 2019 02:41

If you are interested in the academic aspect of radical feminism, how about "Radically Speaking: Feminism Reclaimed?"?
Sceptic about the postmodern feminism? I recommend you "Nothing Mat(t)ers: A Feminist Critique of Postmodernism" by Somer Brodribb
Both books were very helpful for me. I am in the humanities discipline.

Dea-Ex-Vagina

Post by Dea-Ex-Vagina » 01 Apr 2019 10:23

I would also like to add Cordelia Fine's brilliant book 'the delusion of gender'.

And, not wanting to derail the thread because i'm not sure if it can be viewed as feminist, but i think an also incredibly important book for women, is Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes' 'women who run with the wolves'. She links old stories that women have told each other and their daughters for centuries to our lived realities, and i think the work she did is an invaluable treasure in women's culture across the clobe and all of our history.

Sheena

Post by Sheena » 06 Apr 2019 18:53

My Dark Sordid Past As A Heterosexual: First Destiny by Zsuzsanna E. Budapest is an autobiography.